Accident in Malaysia Insurance Claim and Repair process
On Malaysia’s independent day 31 August, while I was driving back to Sekinchan a Malay driver hit my car from behind. Fortunately all the passengers did not injured.
While my car reached the 1st traffic light of Tanjong Karang. It was red light and I stopped as usual. When the green light on, I moved the car slowly and brek as the vehicle in front still not moving. Out of no where we felt a big bang from behind, when I get of my car I
- Time and place of the accident
- Car number plates for all car involve
- Particular of the drivers, IC, Driving License, Motor insurance company and policy no
- The damage of the vehicle or/and injuries to the person if any
- Police report
- Take photo of the vehicles and the damages.
As we took leave on the next day and we only back to Singapore 2nd Sep. I called up the helpline and insurance agent again to confirm which workshop I can send in my car for repair. Based on the policy I can actually send to my dealer workshop Cycle and Carriage (Mitsubishi) and file the claim. By right I should be able to file the third party claim on the other partys policy. From the advise of the MSIG and Workshop person this process will take longer and may drag more than 1 year, if they dispute the claim I may end up wait longer and may not get back the full amount I claim.
From what I know most of the workshop do not file the 3rd party claim. Please do let me know in the comment if any of the workshop do 3rd party claim. For my case is complicated as the insurance of third party in Malaysia. So I did what most of people do, claim on the own policy and pay the $500 excess. And the next step is for insurance company to help in recover back the excess and loss of use to the 3rd party insurer.
Repair process for accident car in workshop
- Call up the workshop to confirm they able to do the e-file of the insurance claim
- Drive/tow your car to the workshop
- Fill in the form of the insurance claim, bring the policy certificate and copy of roadtax dics.
- You need to fill in particular of car and driver
- Explain how accident happen with diagram
- List the demages in the vehicle
- Wait for the workshop to take photo and access the damage
- Workshop file claim and quotation to insurance company
- Insurance claim officer authorised the repair
- Workshop repair the car
- Completed repair and the owner pay the excess
- Inspect the repaired car and come back within warranty period for any defects
Process of 3rd party claim to Malaysia insurance policy (Still in progress)
- Claim officer Received the report from workshop
- Claim officer review and authorise the repair
- Claim officer getting the surveyor to have the survey report and photos of vehicle
- Claim officer writing the first letter of demand to the third party insurer
- Vehicle owner follow up do the necessary follow up with the third party insurer thereafter
- TBD – Third party insurer may accept the full claim or only part of the claim.
- TBD – Third party insurer may dispute the claim or owner dispute the party claim.
- TBD – Engage lawyer in case of any dispute.
- TDB – Third party insurer settle the claim $$$